350 Sq Ft Tiny House Floorpan – three bedrooms for large families with kids.
I think most people describe the process of building their tiny house a journey. And I certainly can see why! For our family, the process of going from concept to design and now being on the threshold of the actual build, has been one that has brought many different feelings and emotions. There is so much to this that we could have never anticipated, so many aspects of designing a house I could literally have never even conceived. We have been so fortunate to have an amazing team of professionals we have been able to lean on. But every single painstaking idea, concept, success, and failure has been fought out in my own mind and then eventually brought forward to the debate table over coffee with the love of my life. We have painstakingly analyzed, measured, and moved every part of this house a million times. There were days that I would sit next to trash can with nothing but a pencil, ruler, and paper, running through ideas that never saw the light of day.
Before we we can hammer the first nail, we have to make sure all of the math adds up. And because of my near crippling inability to see past my own nose sometimes, there were so many aspects of reality that I just never have the foresight for. Probably the most major thing I underestimated was the trailer. When Tashina first suggested to me that we needed to build out on a gooseneck, I thought she had lost it. It changed everything about the build and our original cost analysis. But even though she was so very right, it took hours of discussion and careful planning to bring us to this place.
This week we’ve received the 3D renderings and designs for the tiny house. In many ways, it has felt like the ultrasounds for our future home. We are being given the opportunity to see the house long before the first plank of wood is laid on the trailer.
In many ways, its is hard to look at these images and still not feel very distant from them. Yes, that is what our house could look like. Yes, an amazing architect took my horrible sketches and turned them into legitimate art. It is almost hard sometimes looking at these images not to think that they are real, with their simplicity and beauty. But then I look outside my window on this rainy day and see my bare trailer standing there, and have a hard time believing that in just a few short weeks, the trailer will begin to take shape. We will begin the process of of measuring each board twice and cutting once and counting each nail. Soon, windows will be placed, and then a door. With each movement, our house will finally take form. It will move from our minds, then from our hands to paper, digitized, and then again our hands will create it again… this time for real.
It is a humbling experience. It almost feels ancient and spiritual to design and build your own home. It is empowering and fulfilling. There is also the realization that we are participating in something far bigger than ourselves. We are taking part in an important social experiment. The data we collect over this next year and the boundaries we push will pave a way for creating future homes like this for other families.
It is hard to believe that this is where we are today, more than a year after starting this amazing journey. I am honored to finally show you our designs and what our future home will look like! This home is just a foundation, I hope, for a broader vision to create sustainable housing solutions for many more families. So here is to moving on to phase two: the build.
As you can see, our house will essentially be three floors, even though it will be 13’6” tall, which is the tallest legal height for a road legal vehicle. The first floor will house the kitchen, living room/dining room, and bathroom.
Tashina and I will have a private bedroom on the “second floor”, which will be built out onto the gooseneck part of the trailer. This room will not be a loft and we will be able to stand up in our room, just like you can on the first floor.
There will be two third floor or loft bunks for our kids. Gideon and Selena will share a room that is accessible from our bedroom. Across the way, Kira will have her loft built over the kitchen.
As a final but important part of this update: We have raised 90% of our goal toward the tiny house build and have stepped out in faith, purchasing many of the elements we need for the build. After you’ve seen these drawings, I hope that you will consider helping us reach the remaining 10% of our goal by clicking here & sharing this blog!
Thank you all so much for helping us make it this far. I look forward to sharing the rest of this journey with each of you.
Here are some helpful links to making money online and funding your tiny house build:
- How to Start a Blog on WordPress
- Marketing on Social Media
- How to Publish a Book & Go on a Book Tour
- Guide to successful Crowd Funding
- Make Money on eBay.